We may earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of our links. The newsroom and editorial staff were not involved in the creation of this content.
Almost everyone can relate to the stress of regular doctor visits for screenings. For this reason, you may want to look for a more comfortable and discreet way to test yourself. Everlywell offers at-home health testing kits for various health conditions, sexual infections, and overall health and wellness.
This Everlywell review covers the company’s different home testing kits, including food sensitivity tests, pros and cons, test accuracy, and customer feedback.
- Packaging designed to conceal contents
- Simple, painless techniques for collecting samples at home
- Comprehensive tools to help you understand and manage test results
- CLIA-accredited laboratories
- Free medical assistance if certain tests turn out positive
- May not be ideal for folks with needle phobia
- Some tests aren’t science-backed
- Convenient and discreet testing
- Wide range of in-home testing kits
- Detailed test results
- Prepaid shipping
- Rapid delivery of test results
What We Like About Everlywell
Everlywell provides home testing for general health, sex-related issues, dietary sensitivities, and allergies. The convenience of at-home testing eliminates the need for patients to visit a lab or doctor’s office. It is also a simple approach to taking preventive actions for your overall health and wellness.
All kits are delivered in a discreet package and include everything you need to collect and analyze your sample. Plus, shipping is prepaid for all test results.
Things to Keep In Mind About Everlywell
An Everlywell at-home food sensitivity test can provide valuable information about what triggers your digestive problems or allergic responses. Although convenient, the in-home food sensitivity test cannot replace a professional medical evaluation. Plus, there is no clinical evidence to support the accuracy of these tests.
Some Everlywell home tests require a blood sample through a finger prick. For this reason, these specific tests may not be suitable for those with trypanophobia or an extreme fear of needles.
Everlywell was founded in 2015 and is headquartered in Austin, Texas. They offer direct-to-customer at-home testing kits allowing users to ship samples through prepaid express packaging.
Everlywell claims that all the labs it contracts with and the tests it offers comply with the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) requirements.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has not accredited Everlywell, but the company has an A+ rating with an average BBB score of 1.28 out of 5 stars based on 47 customer reviews.
On Trustpilot, 35 customers have reviewed Everlywell, and the company currently has an average rating of 2.0 out of five stars.
How To Get Started With Everlywell
This segment of our Everlywell review details five simple steps to get started:
- Choose your desired kit
- Register your test kit
- Take your samples
- Return your samples for analysis
- Wait for your results
1. Choose Your Desired Kit
To begin, select your desired test. You can choose from different categories like women’s health, sexual health, food sensitivity, etc. We analyzed each category in our Everlywell review to help you make an informed decision. The pricing section in our Everlywell review can also help you pick a suitable screening kit based on your budget.
That said, a board-certified doctor will look over your kit order once you submit it. Everlywell usually delivers new kits within five to 10 business days.
2. Register Your Test Kit
The first thing you should do when you get your package is to register your kit. This will just take a couple of minutes. Go to the Everlywell official website and select “Register Kit” from the top. The next step is to create an account, sign in, and input the ID code printed on your kit’s registration form.
3. Take Your Samples
The package will include comprehensive instructions and all the necessary tools for at-home screening. Based on the test, you may need to provide a sample of your blood, feces, saliva, or urine.
4. Return Your Samples for Analysis
Everlywell includes a disposable biohazard bag and a prepaid postage label in each kit for your convenience. You can write your name, the time and date of your delivery, and the pickup location on the bag.
It’s best to use individual sample bags if you’re collecting samples for more than one test. You may also need to double-check that each container has the appropriate labels since not all samples are sent to the same lab for analysis.
To submit samples for analysis, drop them at any US Postal Service location. It may take roughly three days for the samples to reach the labs.
5. Wait for Your Results
After Everlywell reviews your sample and your results are ready, you will receive an email and be able to view them through your Everlywell account. You can share results with a health professional and even get free telemedicine consultations with specific tests.
Everlywell claims to adhere to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and treat customer data with the strictest confidence. They will not disclose your results without your permission.
Your results may arrive within five business days, but certain tests may take more time to process.
Everlywell Review: Common Everlywell Test Kits
This section of our Everlywell review discusses their wide range of at-home kits, which can be grouped into six categories:
- Food Sensitivity
- Energy and Weight-Related
- General Wellness
- Women’s Health
- Men’s Health
- Sexual Health
1. Food Sensitivity Test
Everlywell provides two options for detecting food sensitivities. The basic test evaluates your body’s reaction to 96 meals, whereas the food sensitivity comprehensive test evaluates responses to 204 meals.
These procedures rely on immunoglobulin G (IgG) testing, a disputed method of identifying food sensitivities as it only shows IgG reactivity to certain foods. Plus, you can’t use food sensitivity screening to diagnose celiac disease.
Wellness professionals warn against this IgG testing since the results may be unreliable. It may also prompt patients to consider an elimination diet that excludes healthy items from their foods .
Food Allergy Test
Everlywell has created a food allergy kit to complement the food sensitivity test. Common food intolerance symptoms, such as anaphylaxis, inflammation, and hives, occur when the body creates Immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies. With this food allergy screening, Everlywell reviews your sample for the presence of IgE antibodies in response to nine common allergens, such as:
- Cow’s milk
- Egg white
- Egg yolk
2. Energy and Weight-Related Tests
These tests evaluate the levels of several hormones and vitamins that may impact weight and stamina. Here, our Everlywell review looks into some of them.
- Metabolism Test: Everlywell reviews the levels of metabolism-related hormones, like cortisol, free testosterone, and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). This test might be helpful if you’ve been experiencing symptoms like sudden weight loss or fatigue. It can help determine the root problem so you may get medical attention if necessary.
- Thyroid Test: In this test, Everlywell reviews your sample to measure the levels of thyroid hormones like TSH, T3, and T4. The test also checks levels of thyroid peroxidase antibodies, which patients with Hashimoto’s disease have in high levels .
- Vitamin D Test: Vitamin D deficiency can result in different symptoms, but with this blood test, you can know if your levels are within the healthy range.
3. General Wellness Tests
This section of our Everlywell review discusses their general at-home health tests. Anyone above the age of 18 can take these tests.
- Indoor and Outdoor Allergy Test: Everlywell reviews normal immune response to 40 common allergens, such as cat and dog dander, dust mites, and molds. The test measures the level of IgE in your immune system. While this test can’t establish whether or not you have allergies, it can identify triggers for such adverse reactions.
- COVID-19 Test Home Collection Kit DTC: This nasal swab test is available nationwide, and the FDA has granted it an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) .
- Sleep and Stress Tests: This test requires urine sample collection to determine levels of cortisol, cortisone, melatonin, and creatinine. Fluctuating levels of these biomarkers may indicate an imbalance in the sleep cycle and stress management.
- Heavy Metals Tests: Everlywell reviews trace amounts of minerals like iodine and selenium. The test may also check for heavy metals that aren’t usually present in the body, such as arsenic, bromine, cadmium, and mercury, which can be harmful.
Other Everlywell General Wellness Tests include:
- Cholesterol and Lipids Test
- Celiac Disease Screening
- Heart Health Screening
- Lyme Disease Test
- HbA1c Test
- FIT Colon Cancer Screening Test
- B Vitamins Test
4. Women’s Health Tests
This part of our Everlywell review covers at-home kits specifically designed for women.
- HPV Test: This test detects the human papillomavirus (HPV), which is associated with a higher risk of cervical cancer. Plus, Everlywell reviews your sample to check for 14 types of potentially dangerous HPV, including HPV 16 and 18.
- Women’s Hormone Test: To complete this hormone testing, you will need to collect blood and saliva samples throughout your menstrual cycle. For analysis, Everlywell reviews the levels of hormones like cortisol, DHEA-s, estradiol, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), and more.
- Ovarian Reserve Test: This test can predict women’s ovulation frequency, compare them to the norm for their age, and measure the levels of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). However, this test doesn’t predict fertility or the chances of conceiving .
Other Everlywell screenings designed for women include:
- Women’s Fertility
5. Men’s Health Tests
Our Everlywell review also looks into at-home kits for men.
- Testosterone Test: This may be suitable if you experience common low testosterone symptoms like depression, low libido, mental fatigue, and weight gain. In this test, Everlywell reviews your testosterone levels with just a saliva sample.
- Men’s General Health Test: Everlywell reviews your sample to check for the hormones responsible for stamina, vitality, libido, and muscle mass, including cortisol, DHEA, estradiol, and testosterone. A local, board-certified physician usually verifies your test results before Everlywell delivers them.
6. Sexual Health Tests
Nearly 20 million new cases of STDs are reported annually . However, most sexually transmitted diseases can be treated or at least controlled if diagnosed early.
We discuss the company’s STI tests in this section of our Everlywell review.
- Hepatitis C: This test detects the hepatitis C virus, which causes liver inflammation. People who have recently contracted hepatitis C often show no symptoms . That said, folks requiring hepatitis C testing may include active or former Intravenous drug users, adults born between 1945 and 1965, and those with some medical issues .
- HIV Test: A small blood sample is required for the Everlywell HIV Test. After that, a representative from Everlywell’s medical network will get in touch with you with all the details you need if you test positive.
- STD Test (Male): Everlywell reviews your urine sample and requires a blood test to check for six infections, including HIV, syphilis, chlamydia, trichomoniasis, gonorrhea, and hepatitis C.
- STD Test (Female): In addition to the six infections above, the STD Test for women also checks for herpes simplex virus type 2, which causes genital herpes. The female test has additional requirements, such as a vaginal swab and a blood spot sample.
Everlywell reviews other sexually transmitted infections, including:
- Chlamydia and gonorrhea
How Much Do Everlywell Tests Cost?
Everlywell at-home testing kits are competitively priced, and all test prices range between $49-$299. This part of our Everlywell review breaks down the cost of popular kits in each category:
Food Sensitivity Test ($149-$299)
You can get the standard food sensitivity test and the food allergy screening at $149. However, the comprehensive test will set you back $299.
Energy and Weight-Related Tests ($49-$149)
The regular vitamin D test costs $49, while the metabolism test and vitamin and inflammation test cost $99 each. A thyroid test is the most expensive option at $149.
General Wellness Tests ($49-$199)
Most kits in this category cost $49, like the cholesterol and lipid test, or $199, for the indoor and allergy test. The heart health and Lyme disease tests cost $99 and $109, respectively.
Women’s Health Tests ($49-$249)
At $49, you can get the HPV kit or the ovarian reserve test. More expensive options like the perimenopause and postmenopause kits cost $99 each, while the women’s fertility tests go for $149. The most expensive women’s hormone test will set you back $249.
Men’s Health Tests ($49-$249)
The testosterone test is the cheaper option in this category. It costs $49, while the more expensive men’s general health test kit costs $249.
Sexual Health Tests ($69-$169)
Aside from the STD test for men and women, which costs $169, every other test in this category costs $69.
How to Save Money on Everlywell Tests
While Everlywell offers affordable in-home testing, there is always an opportunity to save more money, and our Everlywell review can guide you. For instance, you may join the membership program or check if you’re qualified for HSA/FSA reimbursement. Our Everlywell review can also help you choose the suitable screening kit for your budget.
To be eligible for HSA/FSA reimbursement, you may reach Everlywell via their Contact Us page and ask for an itemized receipt. Check with your HSA/FSA benefits coordinator before purchasing, as they may have additional requirements and limitations.
Does Everlywell Offer a Subscription Plan?
Everlywell’s two membership plans, Current and Control, provide exceptional value if you are interested in taking new diagnostics tests regularly. The Current plan is restricted to sexual health screenings and costs $14.99 per month.
For $24.99 a month, you may become a member of the Control plan and keep tabs on your overall health and well-being.
You can easily terminate your subscription for free by emailing Everlywell’s support staff.
Where To Buy an Everlywell Test Kit
The official Everlywell website features a shop where you can purchase all their testing kits.
You can also find these kits at retailers like Amazon and Walmart. However, these third-party vendors may not have your desired kit in stock, and their prices may differ from Everlywell’s official site.
Everlywell Review: Benefits and Potential Risks
The FDA details the advantages and disadvantages of taking an in-home test . For instance, the COVID-19 Test Home Collection Kit is an excellent option during quarantine. In-home screenings can also help keep tabs on blood sugar levels, which might prompt medication adjustments.
However, there is always a chance of inaccuracy while collecting data from a home test. You may also need to see a doctor for further testing and treatment if you get a disturbing result.
These at-home tests are not meant to substitute professional medical advice or to serve as a self-diagnosis. Meanwhile, they might be an excellent first step before seeing a healthcare professional if you’re curious about your well-being.
Everlywell Customer Reviews
We also considered customer feedback in our Everlywell review. The company has mostly positive comments from users. For example, customers praised the simplicity of the at-home testing process and the efficiency with which they received their results. Some also mentioned how helpful it was to discuss their results with a healthcare provider.
However, there are a few complaints about the at-home kits. Some reviewers mentioned they had difficulty getting a sufficient blood sample for specific tests. Others had concerns with sample size, accessibility to customer service, delays in processing test results, and misplaced samples.
How We Evaluated Everlywell Tests
Many people use Everlywell’s in-home testing kit to get crucial information about their health, and we know how private and important this is to them. For this reason, our Everlywell review is based on these five criteria:
- Test accuracy
- Test delivery speed
- Customer support
1. Test Accuracy
Our Everlywell review prioritized reliable and accurate results that are on par with those from a standard medical appointment or lab testing.
Everlywell uses FDA-approved in vitro diagnostic tests known as Laboratory Developed Tests (LDTs), developed and used entirely within a single facility .
Each lab that handles Everlywell tests is either CLIA-accredited or CAP-accredited, meaning they comply with all applicable federal and state standards governing laboratory testing.
Everlywell takes the confidentiality of your personal information and privacy very seriously. All your health data is stored safely on a HIPAA-compliant platform and encrypted and protected using bank-grade security protocols.
Your results are private; only you can see them, but you can choose to share them with whomever you like.
Plus, Everlywell ships your kits and results in a modest brown package with only the return addressee, “Everlywell,” on it.
3. Test Delivery Speed
It usually takes a couple of days to deliver the samples to the laboratories, and Everlywell provides regular updates on their progress. They will notify you via email and update your Everlywell test results page if there is a delay. Everlywell’s turnaround time is on par with or faster than competing home health testing services.
Everlywell is reasonably priced when compared to other home health testing providers. They also offer coupons and membership discounts, making it excellent value.
For example, regular users may save up to 50% with a membership. Your HSA or FSA may cover some or all of the cost of your Everlywell testing. Our Everlywell review also highlighted the pricing of each kit so you can choose the one that fits your budget.
5. Customer Support
Everlywell customer support starts with each testing kit which comes with detailed instructions. They also provide website guides, step-by-step manuals, instruction brochures, and videos if you need additional information on the tests and how to use them.
The FAQ section on Everlywell’s website and other sources like our Everlywell review can also help those who want to learn more about the at-home tests. You can always contact the Everlywell customer service team by live chat, email, or phone if you still have any questions or concerns.
Everlywell Review: FAQs
This section of our Everlywell review answers popular questions about Everlywell and its at-home test kits.
Is Everlywell a Legit Company?
Yes, Everlywell has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and it only uses CLIA-certified labs to examine its clients’ diagnostic data. This implies the company routinely inspects and monitors its testing and laboratory facilities to ensure the highest quality results.
However, the FDA recommends having a healthcare professional assess your lab results.
Can Children Use Everlywell Tests?
No. Anyone under 18 is not eligible to use Everlywell home screening kits.
How Accurate Is an At-Home Food Sensitivity Test?
There is currently no way to identify food allergies using a simple at-home food sensitivity test . We advise seeing a doctor after you test positive to be sure.
If you think your symptoms could be related to what you’re eating, you can do a food sensitivity test in the comfort of your own home. However, you may not get an accurate clinical diagnosis with an Everlywell food sensitivity test.
Are Everlywell Tests FDA Approved?
Yes, Everlywell tests are FDA-approved. For example, the Everlywell COVID-19 Test Home Collection Kit DTC and its affiliated labs have been granted Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) by the FDA. However, an at-home food sensitivity test cannot provide a reliable clinical diagnosis.
How Long Does It Take To Get Test Results From Everlywell?
Everlywell lab results are usually available within five business days of receiving the sample, but it depends on the kind of test you take. For instance, you may expect to get the results of a COVID-19 test no later than 48 hours after sending in the sample.
You will get an email when your results are available in your Everlywell account. If you’d like, you may also sign up to get SMS alerts detailing your exam progress.
Everlywell Review: Final Verdict
It’s thrilling to have your health records at your fingertips, but it’s also necessary to always consult a healthcare professional about the results of any home test kits you use.
Our Everlywell review can help you choose the best in-home testing kit for your needs. We also did an Everlywell metabolism test review for folks who experience unexplained fatigue or weight loss. Our Everlywell metabolism test review highlighted how the test could help pinpoint the symptoms’ roots.
However, Everlywell or any other tests is not a suitable option if you wish to sidestep medical care completely. Your doctor needs to talk to you and carry out a physical exam to understand your symptoms. This procedure can also help them decide whether you need immediate medical attention or not.
That said, Everlywell at-home test kits will be a breath of fresh air for folks who wish to ease up on routine and preventative clinic appointments, which can be both time-consuming and emotionally draining.
- Beyer, Kirsten, and Suzanne S. Teuber. “Food Allergy Diagnostics: Scientific and Unproven Procedures.” Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 5, no. 3, 2005, pp. 261–266, doi:10.1097/01.all.0000168792.27948.f9.
- “Thyroid Antibodies.” Medlineplus.gov, https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/thyroid-antibodies/.
- Humphreys, Devon P., et al. “At-Home Sample Collection Is an Effective Strategy for Diagnosis and Management of Symptomatic and Asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Carriers.” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 22, no. 1, 2022, p. 443, doi:10.1186/s12879-022-07377-4.
- “Ovarian Reserve Tests Fail to Predict Fertility, NIH-Funded Study Suggests.” National Institutes of Health (NIH), 10 Oct. 2017, https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/ovarian-reserve-tests-fail-predict-fertility-nih-funded-study-suggests.
- “Incidence, Prevalence, and Cost of Sexually Transmitted Infections in the United States.” Cdc.gov, 17 Mar. 2022, https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/fact-sheets/std/STI-Incidence-Prevalence-Cost-Factsheet.html.
- “Hepatitis C.” Who.int, https://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/hepatitis-c.
- By, Prepared, et al. “Recommendations for the Identification of Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Infection among Persons Born during 1945–1965.” Cdc.gov, 17 Aug. 2012, https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6104a1.htm.
- “Home Use Tests.” U.S. Food and Drug Administration, FDA, https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/in-vitro-diagnostics/home-use-tests.
- “Laboratory Developed Tests.” U.S. Food and Drug Administration, FDA, https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/in-vitro-diagnostics/laboratory-developed-tests.
- “All about Allergy Testing.” Aaaai.org, https://www.aaaai.org/Tools-for-the-Public/Conditions-Library/Allergies/all-about-allergy-testing.